A housewarming party is a party held on the occasion of moving into a new residence. It is an occasion for the hosts to present their new home to their friends, and sometimes for friends to give gifts to furnish the new home. Housewarming parties are generally informal; usually there are no planned activities besides a possible tour.
It is considered proper etiquette to invite guests at least a few days, and up to 3 weeks, in advance.
Gifts are customary but not necessary. They usually consist of something for the new house (such as a potted plant, a vase, or a picture frame) or something to be enjoyed during the party (such as a bottle of wine, a bouquet of flowers, or a gift basket of foodstuffs). Bluebirds were once given as they were believed to bless the new house with happiness and good luck, but in modern day it is more customary to provide bluebird-themed paraphernalia such as china.
• A housewarming party may be thrown upon completion of renovation or remodel.
• A housewarming party may be presented as an "open house" where people are free to come and go during a fixed window of time on a given day.
• A housewarming may involve a potluck meal.
• Some people invite all of their new neighbors to their housewarming. This allows the hosts to meet their new community.
• In some communities, neighbors may bring the housewarming party to the new residents to welcome them.
• While people try to host a housewarming party within the first 3 months, a lot of people wait until they are completely settled in. The time frame is flexible, and a party can qualify as a housewarming anytime after the move-in date.
See also: International Flower Delivery, Florist, Flowers Discount Code